Header image

(1991-2016) 12% increase in the proportion of Pakistanis who believe there is a chance (high or some chance) of an untoward incident happening in their area at night.

0

According to a Gallup & Gilani Pakistan National Survey conducted in the year 1991 (25 years ago) respondents were asked, “In your view if a person has to go out on foot late at night in your neighborhood and walk a few meters, is there a chance that he/she will meet some kind of an untoward incident?” In response to this question, 26% said that there was a high chance of meeting an untoward incident in their area at night, 37% said there was some chance, while 23% said that there was no chance. 14% did not wish to respond.

Comparative Picture: The question was asked again in 2016 to enable a concrete comparison. In 2016, 25% said there was a high chance of meeting an untoward incident in their area at night, 50% said there was some chance, while 25% said that there was no chance.

The findings are available since 1991 periodically and the graph below shows how the figures have fluctuated over the years.

According to public opinion, there has been a 1% decrease in the proportion of Pakistanis who believe that there is a high chance of meeting an untoward incident in their area at night, a 13% increase in the proportion of Pakistanis who believe there is some chance and a 2% increase in the proportion of Pakistanis who believe there is no chance.

This press release has been made as part of the Gallup Pakistan History Project which aims to release historical empirical polling data to wider audiences. The objective is to sustain and encourage empirical decision making in Pakistan.

Share.