Header image

67% of the general public in Pakistan agrees that making payments with mobile money agents is a useful innovation.

0

According to a survey conducted by Gallup Pakistan, 67% Pakistanis agreed to the statement: ‘Making payments with mobile money agents is a useful innovation’. On the other hand, 33% respondents disagreed with the statement. These results are a part of the nationwide Access to Finance Study conducted by the State Bank of Pakistan in 2015 with the intent of determining the degree of financial inclusiveness of the Pakistani public.

This press release is part of a special series that aim to foster an empirical understanding of financial inclusion in Pakistan and that hope to create a collaborative network of individuals working on the topic. This press release focuses on empirically determining the proportion of Pakistanis who feel that being able to send money via mobiles through agents (EasyPaisa etc.) is a useful innovation. Mobile Money, in simple terms, refers to the ability to conduct monetary transactions from one person to another through a mobile phone. Mobile Money falls within the ambit of digital financial services. Pakistan’s unbanked population still significantly outweighs the percentage of the population that uses formal financial services. Furthermore, keeping in mind the income and literacy levels of the majority of Pakistan’s population, there is a significant chunk of the population that can be brought into the formal financial net by means of digital financial services. Thus, telecom companies and banks operating in Pakistan have taken this initiative of enabling this untapped segment of the population through mobile money services.

A nationally representative sample of men and women from across the four provinces was asked: “Please tell me if you rather agree or rather disagree with these statements? [Making payments with mobile money agents is a useful innovation].” In response to this question, 67% Pakistanis said that they agree with this statement. On the other hand, 33% disagreed with the statement. Thus, empirical results show that Mobile Money is becoming a well-received concept in the Country. Mobile money services like Telenor’s Easy Paisa, UBL’s Omni and Ufone’s U-Payment have thus played their part in popularizing the concept of mobile money transfers and mobile banking within Pakistan.

Share.